One of the most aggravating things for a dentist I might imagine is having all that undone tx sitting in files. Hundreds of thousands of dollars – in many cases, MILLIONS of bucks. Sitting there. Needing to be done. Patients in need. But, what happens to it?
For 99.9% of every dental practices: ZERO. NOTHING. NADA. ZILCHO.
In my years of working with hundreds if not thousands of dentists, I’ve heard of many different ways to manage this most annoying and gut-wrenching problem (What? You’re not GUT-WRENCHED to think of all that undone tx? You SHOULD be!).
There is a METHOD or SYSTEM to handle it. Let me give you a few examples. One is right for you if not ALL of them. Personally, I’d do ‘em all and do them until I figured out how to work them:
1) Have your staff CALL the folks with undone tx. Yeah, imagine that! A FREE call! And guess what? You will close a TON of tx because of it! Additionally, it puts the responsibility squarely where it belongs (my opinion mind you): ON THE DOC AND STAFF. You see, you are doing your pts a disservice by NOT having them complete necessary tx. Cosmetics are a different story and require a different approach. BUT, for general HEALTH reasons, you SHOULD do what it takes to get your pts moved to the decision: Yes, I am going to get that tx done. It’s all done by a script, so there’s nothing that cannot be copied or duplicated by any staff member with idle time.
2) A first class, hand-addressed letter. Yes, as you know, I’m a big fan of letters.
3) Education. Another easy one. If your pts aren’t accepting tx and if money isn’t the problem (they drive new cars don’t they? And what about that new TV for x-mas? Get ON THEIR LEVEL!), then you need to educate them more! Do what it takes morally, ethically and legally to move your pts to the right decision. And, just ask them, “If not now, when? It’s ONLY going to get worse as will the pain!” I mean, with all the tools and technology at your exposure, including sedation, air abrasion and so on, they don’t have an excuse!
4) OFFER THEM an opportunity to pay over time. And keep on presenting this as an option. If they can pay $75 a month for 6 months, then let them do it! SYSTEMS control your success or failure in this arena
5) Finally, do nothing. If your results are already so good and you’re not ticked at yourself for all the undone tx sitting there, then do nothing. Or, maybe you have adequate “deal” (read: patient) flow and you’re not worried about it, then that’s OK.
One client of mine admitted to having MILLIONS of undone tx on his files. What’s he done about it? NOTHING. How long has it been? Almost SIX MONTHS!
You get the point. Go get the tx done! And set some records for production in your office this month!